Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Frugal Five

I have seen many post where people share their frugal accomplishments.  I always find them motivating so I thought I could share some frugal things from the past week. 

#1 - Chuck paid $9 to attended a men's breakfast at church that was catered by Bob Evans. 


They ordered more food then needed and were going to just throw the excess away.  I know!  Chuck came home with almost a quart of gravy and two large pans of home fries.  I ended up with three one cup bags of the gravy and twelve four cup bags of the potatoes for the freezer.  Score!

#2 -  My birthday was last weekend and the boys I watch brought me a present this week.  In the gift bag was about six sheets of pretty tissue paper.  I smoothed out the paper and folded it up for future gifting. 


#3 - The ketchup bottle was almost empty so the packets from the frig and van were emptied into it.  I ended up with a little more then 1/4 of a bottle.


#4 - Tacos were served for dinner one night and then eaten again the next day for lunch.  After that there was still some meat left.  No matter how little I always put the remaining amount in the freezer to add to the next taco meal. 

 
#5 - Using coupons earned from my coke rewards I was able to get FREE coke for Chuck. 
 
 
Here is a tip for gathering points for coke rewards:  Ask people you know that drink coke products if they participate in this program.  Most of the people that work with Chuck do not.  When finished with their vending machine drinks they save the caps for him.  There are even some who save the points off of the cartons for him. 

So there you go.  I hope this encourages you to do things to save money.  The old adage that every penny counts seems to apply more and more as I see prices of just about everything increase.  I am not sure I will have five things to post about every week as many times my frugal accomplishment is simply staying home and making do with what I have. 

May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

7 comments:

angie said...

These are my favorite type of posts! I learn so much from others about being intentionally frugal.
I also keep tissue paper and ketchup packs, although I pack them into lunches.
I shake my head in amazement at how much food gets thrown away at events. My husband regularly comes home from work with pizza that was going to be tossed!

*carrie* said...

Love your list, Wendi. Those are all great ideas! Thanks for sharing.

Theresa said...

I love reading all the ways people save money too. Canada is getting rid of the coke rewards program. Though it was never as good as the U.S version, it used to have some great rewards.

I save the small ketchup packs to send in my sons lunch on the days he brings a hot dog. They are perfect for that.

I really enjoy your blog.

~Backroad Treasures~ said...

We could be related lol...I do the same thing, there are so many ways people could save money if they would just be more frugal... We have a container in our fridge that I keep all fast food condiments in, hubby uses them in his lunches, any left over foods goes into freezer for future use whether a casserole or souos.. And tissue paper, gift boxes bags etc are always recycled here...good for you. Keep posting more great ideas.....
Blessings
Rhonda

Kathy said...

I loved reading this and hope this becomes a regular feature. I a not nearly as frugal as I should be and posts such as this are very motivating, thanks!

Rhonda said...

Those are very fruitful efforts! Yea for husbands that help with thrifty things.

Laura Lane said...

Staying home and making due is sometimes best of all. I wouldn't hesitate to include it.
Blessings,
Laura