Monday, February 03, 2014

Fifteen Minutes




Many times I have tried to follow Flyday.  She has some great ideas but I found that the daily e-mail and such just added to my stress and feeling of being overwhelmed.  As the first of the year rolled around I had been compiling a list of goals.  Many of those goals were to do with a home that is more organized and better managed.  I decided to look at  flylady decluttering in 15 minutes.   I have not only been using it to help to declutter but also with my general housekeeping. 

Each morning I will set the timer for 15 minutes for different task.  One of those task is what I call "behind the gate."   There is a gate leading down the hall to keep the boys out of that area.  So I will go behind the gate for 15 minutes and the boys and I will make beds, make sure things are tidy and do a quick wipe down in the bathroom. 

On my way back to begin I grab a laundry basket and anything that doesn't belong in a room is put into the basket. 

 
When time is up I will quickly empty the basket and put the items where they belong. I then go and read or play with the boys before I set the timer and do a decluttering task.  At the moment I am working in the office on my craft area.  It is hard to share this picture!
 
 
Is it just me or do you also seem to make a bigger mess as you sort and straighten things out?!  At the end of 15 minutes is hard for me to walk away from a mess like this,  I do.  The knowledge that if I keep at this 15 minutes here and there I will have a tidy, clutter free work space soon.
 
All of this is becoming a habit.  I put 15 minutes on my list to declutter and to do "behind the gate." I am already seeing an improvement not only in how tidy my home is but also in my time management.  I find that I have time to get my homekeeping done and still have time for fun things. 
 
May your day be filled with joy and contentment!

12 comments:

Susan in SC said...

Wendi - I am with you on making a bigger mess when I clean. I so understand!! I followed you here from Rhonda's blog. My boys both came from Russia so I understand your journey to China. I am glad I found your blog!

*carrie* said...

Glad you're finding a system that works for you! I've never really gotten into FlyLady, but my mom and Monica use her approaches regularly.

LynnMarie said...

I've used the 15 minute system for years! Over time, it really does get easier because you are always on top of it. You keep it up girl! Your reward is comng soon, I promise.

donna www.merryheartcrafts.com said...

Great idea! I might have to give this a try. Enjoy your day and God bless.

Rhonda said...

Hi, I sure use this method but I don't set the timer. Like, when a grandson is happy in the highchair or walker, I see how many things I can get done and stay within visual contact of them.

Mrs. C (Paula) said...

I do the same thing using the timer on my phone. ;)

Laura said...

Just found your blog, Wendi...and really enjoyed this post!It is difficult to organize our time in a productive way somedays...especially when there are so many demands on us. Yet, we know, the Lord is always with us...and He won't ever give us more than we can handle. Your 15 minute behind the gate idea is wonderful...so glad it is working for you! And I can sympathize with the craft room...seems like I am always creating chaos in mine!

Enjoyed my visit...I will be back!
Sweet blessings,
Laura

Laura Lane said...

This sounds like a great plan. I hope it works for you.
Sometimes I call a hundred. Everyone has to scurry around and put things away counting out loud as we go.
Blessings,
Laura of Harvest Lane Cottage

Annie Kate said...

You are so right! It's amazing what can be done in 15 minutes...and also how easy it is to waste 15 minutes. Sigh!

You're doing a great job! Keep it up, and it will change your life.

Annie Kate said...

You are so right! It's amazing what can be done in 15 minutes...and also how easy it is to waste 15 minutes. Sigh!

You're doing a great job! Keep it up, and it will change your life.

Sandra said...

I don't follow the Flylady, honestly it just stressed me out even more LOL

But yes, I often go into a room to declutter and organize and end up with a huge mess that overwhelms me even more. Ugh!

Jennifer Hoots said...

I have been "flying" for many years. I just love Flylady's system. It helps me knowing that it is ok to "jump in where I am" and walk away when I must. Keep up the good work!